It is very important to have a normal libido because it promotes physical and emotional wellness and it also strengthens the overall relationship with your partner.
Women with low sex drive can restore their sex drive by eating a healthy diet rich in certain nutrients.
Drugs often improve the mood as well as the stamina, but they cause certain side-effects like nausea, dizziness and sometimes even undesirable drug interactions.
Certain foods possess aphrodisiac properties, which can improve sex drive in women and the best part is that they are completely safe and come without any side-effects.
Foods to Increase Libido in Women
Let’s throw some light at the libido-boosting foods and lifestyle habits that can improve your sex desire:
An apple a day keeps the doctor away, but it can do many more wonders when it comes to women’s sexual health.
Eating apples on a daily basis boosts sexual appetite and stimulates sexual arousal in women. A study found that women who eat apples daily experienced a healthy sex life and did not have any sexual complaints. These women were sexually active and had greater satisfaction compared to women who did not eat apples regularly. Besides this, women did not complain of vaginal dryness and had a better sex life.
Such an aphrodisiac effect of apples is attributed to the presence of phloridzin in them. Phloridzin is a compound that improves vaginal lubrication and boosts the flow of oxygen and nutrient-rich blood towards the female reproductive organs.
Hence, women must try and eat one apple per day for improved sexuality.
- Phloridzin is heavily concentrated in the skin of the apples. Therefore, to get the best out of this fruit, eat it whole with its outer skin.
- Besides this, avoid drinking apple juice because juicing a fruit causes loss of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants present in it.
Saffron is the king of all spices. It doesn’t just improve men’s sexual health, but it also has a positive impact on women’s libido. In traditional medicine, saffron is recommended as an aphrodisiac agent.
Crocin and safranal are the two active components present in saffron, which are responsible for its aphrodisiac effect.
Saffron not only boosts libido but also improves mood and lowers sexual distress and depression in women. Research says that saffron improves some of the sexual problems like arousal, lubrication and pain in women.
Antidepressants can have a negative impact on sexual arousal as well as performance. Women who are undergoing treatment for depression can have poor libido. Antidepressants affect libido and reduce sexual desire in women. Saffron has shown to counteract the negative effects of antidepressants in women. A regular intake of saffron can treat sexual problems effectively as well as improve mood and induce a feeling of overall well-being.
- Saffron is a versatile spice and it can be added to both sweet as well as savory preparations.
- Add saffron to a cup of plain milk or milk preparations.
- It can also be added to different types of rice preparations.
- Drink a cup of saffron tea daily.
Eating fatty fish can improve sex drive in women, says research. Women who eat fish have more sexual desire and improved sexual function as compared to women who eat little or no fish at all.
Fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids are great for heart health. A healthy heart improves the blood flow to the genitals, which in turn boosts the energy levels and stamina in women.
Besides this, fish is a good source of zinc. Zinc is an essential mineral that perks up sex drive in women and increases libido too.
One study observed that eating seafood frequently improves sexual activity and fertility in females and the ability to conceive.
Fish high in omega-3 fatty acids include:
- Deep frying often leads to loss of nutrients present in the fish. It also denatures the proteins present in the fish.
- It is best to eat fish in steamed, roasted, grilled and poached form. Avoid deep-frying the fish. Switch to healthier cooking techniques to avail maximum health benefits.
These tiny seeds provide an array of health benefits to the human body. Fenugreek seeds have a positive impact on the sex hormones as well as sexual function in healthy menstruating women who have a low sex drive, says research.
Daily intake of fenugreek seeds increases the level of estradiol, a female sex hormone that stimulates vaginal lubrication and increases blood flow to the genital areas. This leads to an increase in sexual desire and arousal.
Hence, fenugreek seeds are well-tolerated and may be a useful treatment for increasing sexual desire and arousal in women.
- Women should consume 7-8 soaked fenugreek seeds on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Sprouted fenugreek seeds can be added to other mixed bean sprouts to avail extra benefits.
- A cup of home-made fenugreek seeds tea is another interesting way to add these seeds to your daily diet.
Maca has been used for centuries to enhance fertility and libido in humans. This natural drug improves sexual desire in women. The fertility enhancing activity of maca is attributed to the presence of phytosterols and phytoestrogens in maca. It improves sexual behavior and sexual function in women.
One study observed that maca intake improved sexual desire after at least 6 weeks.
Maca is safe and does not have any undesirable effects on the body. It improves hormonal imbalance, fights fatigue and reduces stress. Such an action of maca boosts libido in women and helps in optimizing overall sexual health.
This stamina-building powder can be added to various food preparations. Here are some examples:
- Add one teaspoon maca root powder to one glass of cocoa milkshake.
- Maca powder can be added to a home-made granola bar, which also contains different nuts and seeds.
- Enhance the power of smoothies by adding maca powder to it.
Red wine is great for the heart and the skin, but studies have also found a positive link between red wine intake and improvement in sexual function in women.
One interesting scientific study found that women who consumed a moderate amount of red wine daily had greater sexual desire and vaginal lubrication than women who did not consume wine or women who consumed more amount of wine and other alcoholic beverages.
In other words, red wine is beneficial for women’s sexual health only when it is consumed in moderate amounts. Hence, moderate red wine intake is the key to better sexuality.
Healthy compounds present in red wine improve the blood flow and promote the removal of toxins from the body. This builds up stamina and perks up the energy levels, which has a positive impact on sexual desire and function.
Women must add a glass of red wine to their daily diet to improve their mood as well as their experience.
- Anything in excess is not good. Hence, drinking too much red wine will not provide any extra benefits.
- Remember to drink red wine in moderate amounts. Do not replace red wine with any other type of wine or alcoholic beverages.
Almost every woman loves chocolates. A chocolate treat is a great idea if you want to improve your sex life.
Chocolate acts as an effective aphrodisiac and it exerts several effects on human sexuality, says research.
Eating a piece of chocolate daily increases sexual desire and improves sexual pleasure.
An interesting study found that women who eat chocolate daily were younger as compared to women who do not eat chocolate on a daily basis. It was further suggested that aging has a significant impact on women’s sexual function.
Intake of dark chocolate improves sexual arousal and satisfaction in women and reduces sexual distress and depression.
Moreover, chocolate has a psychological positive impact on women’s sexuality. Dark chocolate boosts the release of endorphins, hormones that uplift the mood, increase your energy levels and promote blood flow to the genital areas. Gift your lady a box of chocolates to perk up your sex life.
- Dark chocolate exerts more benefits than the white one. Women should eat just one or two small pieces of chocolate per day.
- Do not go overboard on chocolates and keep the portion size in mind.
Boost Sex Drive with Regular Exercise
Besides diet, your lifestyle has a huge impact on sex hormones and overall libido.
Regular exercise is associated with muscle activation and improved blood flow. Hence, it improves both physical and psychological health, which in turn has a positive impact on sexual function.
Exercise causes an increase in the sympathetic nervous system activity and endocrine factors. This enhances sexual satisfaction and uplifts mood.
Positive body image, a result of chronic exercise also increases sexual well-being.
Researchers have further reported that exercise helps in the treatment of sexual dysfunction and alleviates sexual concerns in women with anti-depressant induced sexual dysfunction.
- Do not exercise on an empty stomach. Eat a fruit or two pieces of dates half an hour before exercise.
- Post-exercise one should consume a good source of protein within half an hour.
- Women should exercise five times a week for at least 30 minutes per day.
- Cai T, Gacci M, Mattivi F, Mondaini N, Migno S, Boddi V, Gacci P, Detti B, Gontero P, Chiodini S, Mereu L, Tateo S, Mazzoli S, Malossini G, Bartoletti R. Apple consumption is related to the better sexual quality of life in young women. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2014 Jul. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24518938/
- Kashani L, Raisi F, Saroukhani S, Sohrabi H, Modabbernia A, Nasehi AA, Jamshidi A, Ashrafi M, Mansouri P, Ghaeli P, Akhondzadeh S. Saffron for treatment of fluoxetine-induced sexual dysfunction in women: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2013 Jan. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23280545/
- Audrey J Gaskins, Rajeshwari Sundaram, Germaine M Buck Louis, Jorge E Chavarro, Seafood Intake, Sexual Activity, and Time to Pregnancy, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Volume 103, Issue 7, July 2018, Pages 2680–2688, https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2018-00385
- Rao A, Steels E, Beccaria G, Inder WJ, Vitetta L. Influence of a Specialized Trigonella foenum-graecum Seed Extract (Libifem), on Testosterone, Estradiol and Sexual Function in Healthy Menstruating Women, a Randomised Placebo-Controlled Phytother Res. 2015 Aug. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25914334/
- Shin, B. C., Lee, M. S., Yang, E. J., Lim, H. S., & Ernst, E. (2010). Maca (L. meyenii) for improving sexual function: a systematic review. BMC complementary and alternative medicine. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2928177/
- Mondaini N, Cai T, Gontero P, Gavazzi A, Lombardi G, Boddi V, Bartoletti R. Regular moderate intake of red wine is linked to a better women’s sexual health. J Sex Med. 2009 Oct. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19627470/
- Salonia A, Fabbri F, Zanni G, Scavini M, Fantini GV, Briganti A, Naspro R, Parazzini F, Gori E, Rigatti P, Montorsi F. Chocolate and women’s sexual health: An intriguing correlation. J Sex Med. 2006 May. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16681473/
- Amelia M. Stanton, Ariel B. Handy, Cindy M. Meston, The Effects of Exercise on Sexual Function in Women, Sexual Medicine Reviews, Volume 6, Issue 4, 2018, Pages 548-557, ISSN 2050-0521, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sxmr.2018.02.004.